Sophisticated Cableship Launched At Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard
One of the world's most modern and sophisticated cableships, the $49-million Sir Eric Sharp, was recently launched at Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard, only 14 months after the order was placed by Cable and Wireless (Marine) Ltd.
Designed on computer, with the construction aligned by laser, the 377-foot-long Sir Eric Sharp is one of the most technologically advanced cableships afloat. When commissioned in spring 1989, the new vessel will take up station in Bermuda to provide CWM's new Atlantic Cable Maintenance Service in conjunction with the Mercury, another of CWM's cableships.
The two vessels will share maintenance responsibility for the PTAT system, which will be the first privately funded trans-Atlantic fiber optic telecommunications cable, the PTAT-1 will be jointly owned by Cable and Wireless and its American partner and is scheduled to enter service in mid-1989.
The 6,133-grt Sir Eric Sharp is the first cableship ever designed with a permanent integral remotely operated vehicle (ROV) for buried cable maintenance and repair duties.
The ROV Cirrus will be able to perform a variety of complex cable repair and maintenance tasks. Aside from the hydraulic thrusters which propel the craft, it can also be fitted with tracks enabling it to crawl along the ocean floor.
The Sir Eric Sharp has a breadth of 59 feet, depth of 33 feet and full load draft of 20.6 feet. Her propulsion equipment was provided by GEC Electrical Projects Ltd. The propulsion package consists of a Ruston main diesel engine fitted to a GEC Machines Ltd. generator with GEC Machines Ltd. propulsion motors. Auxiliary power is supplied by an NEI Allen auxiliary engine driving a GEC Machines generator.
Hill Graham Controls Ltd. supplied propulsion motor converters.
For maneuverability, the Sir Eric Sharp is fitted with bow and stern thrusters supplied by White Gill- United Technologies Elliott, Ltd., driven by GEC Machines thruster motors.
The vessel has full satellite communications and navigation facilities and is equipped with an advanced dynamic positioning system which enables it to automatically maintain a fixed position relative to its remotely controlled submersible on the seabed.
For free literature detailing the shipbuilding facilities of Swan Hunter, Circle 39 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from January 1989 issue
- Northwest Marine Services Named Distributor Of Hamilton Marine Jets page: 5
- TOURIST SUBMARINES MARK ENTRANCE INTO NEW ERA FOR PASSENGER VESSEL INDUSTRY page: 6
- ZF Offers Wide Range Of Marine Gears For Workboats/High-Speed Craft page: 6
- 500th Voith Water Tractor, First Of New Generation, Now Under Construction* page: 7
- Tax Corrections Act Offers Good News To Domestic Operators page: 8
- Texaco Marine Services Names Gaffney President, Chief Operating Officer page: 9
- Supply Vessel Overhauled By Homeport Marine page: 9
- CRUISE SHIPPING 89 page: 10
- A.G.M.A. Elects Haley To Serve Three-Year Term On Board Of Directors page: 11
- 1989 NAPVO ANNUAL CONVENTION page: 12
- NAPVO Appoints Lauridsen Technical Consultant page: 12
- Atlantic Marine To Build Caterpillar-Powered Longliner Processor page: 13
- Wartsila-Turku Delivers Barge Carrier To USSR page: 13
- A LETTER FROM THE PRESIDENT OF THE NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF PASSENGER VESSEL OWNERS page: 14
- Hornblower Dining Yachts Contracts Trinity Marine Group To Build West Coast's Largest Diner Boat page: 14
- Seaward Offers 105-Page Technical Manual On Marine Fendering Systems page: 14
- POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT GROWTH FORESEEN IN EXPANDING CRUISE SHIPPING INDUSTRY page: 15
- OUTSTANDING PASSENGER VESSELS OF 1988 page: 16
- New Rope Specification Sheet Available From American Manufacturing page: 27
- Alfa-Laval's Nirex Distiller And New Ice Marine Are Ideally Suited For Trawlers & Variety Of Small Vessels page: 28
- 315-Passenger Boat Delivered By Leevac page: 29
- Aeroquip Offers New Cargo Control Products Bulletin page: 29
- MagneTek Consolidates M i l i t a r y Business Efforts page: 32
- Letter Of Intent Signed By SPD To Acquire Dyncorp Unit page: 32
- First Of 39 Hopper Barges Launched At Reactivated Equitable Shipyards page: 33
- Crowley Maritime Names Sean G. Burke President, Atlantic Division page: 34
- E.H. Wachs Introduces N e w Model HPS-15 Hydrostatic Power Supply page: 35
- Wartsila Launches Baltic Cruise Ferry For V i k i n g Line page: 35
- Schichau Seebeckwerft Delivers Gas Carrier page: 36
- 1989 SNAME Meeting To Feature Diversified Technical Papers— Small Craft To Icebreakers, CAD/CAM To Instrumentation page: 38
- Trinity Marine Group Awarded $5-Million Contract To Build Two Washington State Ferries page: 38
- Sophisticated Cableship Launched At Swan Hunter's Wallsend Yard page: 41
- Sohio Oil, Subsidiary Of BP America, Makes West Coast Acquisitions page: 41
- Service Marine—A Full Service Yard For The Passenger Vessel Market page: 42
- Comsat To Provide Low-Cost Standard-C Messaging Service page: 42
- Fjellstrand Delivers High-Speed Catamarans 'Sea Cat' And 'Jetcat' page: 43
- Innovative Propulsion System From Krupp MaK Offers Smooth, Economic Service For Passenger Ships page: 44
- TFC Corporation Offers Full Line Of Trash Compactors To Meet New Annex V/MARPOL Rules page: 44
- Pictou Industries Completes Third Enlargement Of Crandall R a i l w a y Drydock page: 46
- Jamesbury Offers N e w Compact Corrosion-Resistant Actuators page: 50
- Krupp Atlas Elektronik Introduces Atlas 8630 VTC Radar Designed For Vessel Traffic Control Applications page: 53
- Understanding Marine Rope Specifications Increases Safety And Cordage Life page: 53
- Schottel Pump-Jets Allow Passenger Boat To Operate Even In Shallow Water page: 54
- Hopeman Brothers Named U.S. Representative For IMAC page: 55
- Universal Tankships Installs NTC Ship Manager Software System page: 55
- A N e w Source For CP Propeller And Control System Service page: 58
- Inspection Service Founded To Meet N e w Offshore Platform Inspection Requirements page: 58
- Quality Shipbuilders Changes Name And Revamps Structure; Jack Edwards Named President page: 58
- Morrison-Knudsen Appointed EMD Distributor In 17-State Area And All Of Caribbean page: 58
- SWDiesel-Powered 'Arctic Storm' Is Largest U.S. Factory Trawler page: 59
- Marinette Marine Completes Yard Patrol Boat Contract page: 59