Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6
Under Seas Defense '88 (USD), an international exposition and conference on underwater warfare technology, will be held in the Holiday Inn at Embarcadero, San Diego, Calif., from October 3-6.
Under Seas Defense '88 is the second annual exposition and conference in this series. It will feature exhibits and technical presentations on various aspects of submarine, antisubmarine, mine and mine countermeasures warfare technology.
Last year, at USD '87, also held in San Diego, more than 1,500 people registered and attended. Participation is expected from the U.S., as well as North American Treaty Organization (NATO) and Westernaligned nations.
The keynote speaker for the tech- nical conference on Tuesday, October 4, will be Capt. Roger M.
Venables of the Royal Navy. He will speak on the importance of allied cooperation in meeting the antisubmarine warfare challenge.
This chiefly involves 650 operational Soviet submarines that are constantly improving in noise reduction techniques and with greater weapons load and launch capabilities.
Captain Venables will also be the featured banquet speaker the evening of October 5 at the Admiral Kidd Club, Naval Training Station, San Diego.
At present, Captain Venables is Captain (S/M), First Submarine Squadron at HMS Dolphin, Gosport, U.K. His command includes 10 submarines and the Royal Navy Submarine School, which also accommodates the famous "Perisher Course" for future submarine commanding officers.
For further information on USD '88, contact: USD '88, P.O. Box 368, Spring Valley, Calif. 92077; telephone: (619) 465-2262; telex: 530111 WE INC UD, ELN 62772181.
Other stories from July 1988 issue
- Stolt-Nielsen Buys Out Oiltanking's Interest In Houston Storage Terminal page: 4
- Curtis Bay Towing Changes Name page: 6
- Arthur Engel Chosen Maritime Man Of The Year page: 6
- General Thermodynamics Offers Free Literature On 300-A BMEP Balancer page: 6
- Wartsila Marine-Turku Delivers 1,800-Passenger Cruise Ship To Norwegian Cruise Line page: 7
- Watercom Names Gerald A. Motta VP, Operations page: 7
- SPD Technologies Acquires Brown Boveri Switchgear Unit page: 8
- Soundcoat Introduces Four Lightweight Vibration Damping Materials page: 9
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 10
- SNAME To Hold 1988 Ship Production Symposium In Seattle, August 24-26 page: 24
- Burmeister & Wain Christens Panamax Product Tanker page: 26
- MMS Brochures Detail Cost-Cutting Ship And Shore Management Systems page: 28
- Nichols Brothers Boat Builders Delivers 500-Passenger Catamaran page: 28
- BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES IN THE NEW NAVAL TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM page: 31
- House Subcommittee Looks To Open Competition To Build Fourth Aegis Destroyer page: 33
- Marinette Marine Delivers First Of Seven Training Vessels page: 33
- MAJOR NAVY CONTRACTS page: 36
- Under Seas Defense '88 To Be Held In San Diego On October 3-6 page: 43
- Kelly Klosure Units Used By General Ship In Navy Renovation Work page: 44
- Marine Machinery Association Holds Government-Industry Forum On Ship Repair And Parts Quality page: 45
- Equitable Reopens Louisiana Shipyard To Build Coal Barges page: 49
- MarineSafety Awarded Los Angeles Port Study page: 50
- MARINE LUBRICANTS MEETING THE DEMANDS OF NEW AND UPGRADED DIESELS page: 52
- New 12-Page PBM Catalog On Multi-Port Ball Valves page: 63
- Ameron Marine Coatings Offers High-Performance Products For Steelwork Protection page: 63
- Established Canadian Firm Designs And Builds Innovative Vessels And Marine Equipment page: 63
- American Heavy Lift Names Admiral Peet To Board of Directors page: 64