Matson Asks Bids On $30 Million Conversion of 'Matsonia'
Matson Navigation Company has sent invitations, to selected shipyards on the three U.S. coasts, to bid on conversion of the roll-on/rolloff trailer ship Matsonia to a combination RO/RO and lift-on/lift-off container carrier for the West Coast-Hawaii trade.
This followed a preliminary inquiry by Matson to shipyards around the country to determine which yards have the capability to handle the job that will enlarge, widen and lengthen the vessel and nearly triple its cargo capacity.
"The additional lift capacity is being added to accommodate projected cargo needs of the State of Hawaii," said C.B. Mulholland, senior vice president-freight division.
"The unique cargo characteristics of the converted Matsonia, with its combination carriage, will provide Hawaii shippers with a highly flexible and efficient means of moving their goods," he added.
Quotations for the project are expected to range between $30 million to $35 million, according to Arthur J. Haskell, senior vice presidentengineering and marine operations.
Matson plans to award the contract before the end of the year. The completed vessel, lengthened to 756 feet by removal of 291Vi feet of the existing midbody and replacement with a 347 V2-foot new section, is expected to be delivered to Matson by the fall of 1987 and will enter service soon after that. It is expected to be able to carry about 1,200 twenty-four-foot container equivalents, 55 trailers and 420 automobiles.
Mr. Haskell said the project is intended to accomplish the same objectives for the Matsonia as the conversion of its former sister ship Lurline, reconstructed in 1982, which emerged as one of the most efficient and productive vessels in Matson's West Coast-Hawaii fleet.
Other stories from September 15, 1985 issue
- Owen And Richards Named Managers At Honeywell page: 6
- MSC Announces FSS Award Totaling $30.7 Million page: 6
- Autronica's New NK-5 Unit Monitors Ship's Engine page: 6
- Grow Group Acquires Napko Coatings Division page: 6
- Bollinger Shipyard Dedicates Island Class USCG Patrol Boat Fleet page: 7
- Canadian Offshore Resources Exposition page: 8
- Moss Point Marine Delivers New Sternwheeler, Colonel page: 12
- Aluminum Boats Delivers High-Speed Crew/Utility Vessel To A&P Boats page: 12
- Matson Asks Bids On $30 Million Conversion of 'Matsonia' page: 14
- Brown & Root Awarded Feasibility Study Contract For Chevron Offshore Unit page: 15
- Congressional Maritime Caucus Establishes An Advisory Board page: 15
- OUTSTANDING RIG DESIGNS page: 16
- Bethlehem's Newest Jackup Design Can Drill In Water 600 Feet Deep page: 19
- Congressman To Address OMSA Meeting On Warehouse Vessels page: 19
- Alsthom Unit Strengthens Position In Norwegian Offshore Market page: 20
- Sandy Hook Dispatch Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 20
- Saab Receives Order To Supply TankRadars From Tampa Shipyard page: 21
- Bertrem Products Importing Straub Couplings For U.S. And Canadian Distribution page: 21
- Conversion Of Fast Sealift Ship 'Regulus' Completed By NASSCO page: 22
- ASRY's 1984 Revenues Up Nearly 20 Percent page: 22
- Wartsila Wins Contract To Build Rig Transport Vessel For USSR page: 22
- CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR YARDS page: 28
- Holman and Wildasin Elected At Raymond International page: 31
- MIROS To Market New Products In U.S. page: 32
- Furuno Introduces New Low-Cost, High-Performance Loran Navigator page: 32
- NMEA Plans Expansion Of Interface Standard page: 32
- Kockums Completes Advanced Car/Truck Carrier For Wallenius page: 33
- Cincinnati Gear Completes Testing Of New, Sophisticated Marine Drive For Navy T-AO 187 Class Oilers page: 34
- New Alarm Reduces Boiler Failures, Diesel Failures And Repair Costs page: 34
- Seattle Yard GM Elected To Todd's Board Of Directors page: 35
- Caterpillar Offers 20-Page Catalog On Marine Diesels page: 35
- Wagner Wins $4.5-Million Contract For Steering And Control Systems page: 35
- West Coast Manly Shipyards Delivers Fisheries Patrol Vessel Leonard J. Cowley page: 36
- Tyne Shiprepair Awarded Defence Ministry Contract To Convert Fleet Auxiliary page: 37
- Product Carrier 'Lucy' Christened At Hyundai's Ulsan Yard For Overseas Shipholding Group page: 38
- New Brochure Highlights Capabilities Of Marathon LeTourneau Offshore page: 38
- Aalborg Vaerft Awarded Danish Navy Contract For Seven Flex 300 Convertible Combatant Vessels page: 38
- Kockums Yard To Build Universal Ferry For Polish Shipping Company page: 41
- Transtema Kockumation Introduces New Computer System For Shipping Industry page: 41
- Huge Drydock At Bethlehem's New Sabine Yard Now Operational page: 42
- Marinette Marine Lays Keel For First Of 13 Yard Patrol Craft page: 42
- Centurion Industrial Marine Offers The 'Crew Seat page: 47
- New Brochure Available From SKF Steel Couplings On Its OK Coupling page: 47
- New Instrument Manifold Improves Safety In Process Control Systems page: 47