Aluminum Boats Delivers High-Speed Crew/Utility Vessel To A&P Boats
The 115-foot Oriole, built by Aluminum Boats, Inc. of Crown Point, La. for A&P Boat Rentals of Cut Off, La., gives new meaning to the term "crew/utility vessel." the allaluminum, triple-screw boat can not only haul 63 people, 30 long tons of cargo, and 12,000 gallons of rig water; it can also fight off-ship fires with a 700-gpm monitor mounted aft. When not carrying rig water, she can haul up to 80 tons of cargo on her spacious aft deck.
The new vessel has a beam of 24 feet and depth of 9'/£ feet. She is powered by three Detroit Diesel 12V71TI engines developing a total of 1,530 bhp. They drive Federal 36- inch propellers via Twin Disc MG- 514 reverse/reduction gears with a ratio of 2.5:1. Two Delco 40-kw generators driven by Detroit 3-71 diesels provide electrical power for ship's service and wheelhouse electronics.
Compressed air for starting the main engines, the generator sets, and the Morse engine control system is provided by two Quincy 208 VAC units. A Demming pressure set supplies the galley, heads, shower, drinking fountain, and deck and engine room taps. A Raritan masserator sanitation system is installed for pollution control.
The pilothouse is equipped with two electro-hydraulic steering stations, with one facing aft for backdown on rigs. Stainless steel hydraulic tubing is used throughout the boat.
The off-ship fire-fighting system, unusual for a crewboat, consists of a keel-cooled Detroit Diesel 3-53 engine driving a Hale 700-gpm pump at 150 psi through an Elkhart 292 monitor. A feature of this system is its portability; when not in use the monitor can be stowed to avoid damage while loading and unloading cargo. It features an easy on/off coupler to allow quick connect for rapid response to any emergency.
Passenger and crew comfort is aided by eight tons of customdesigned, keel-cooled air conditioning.
The maintenance-free system, designed by South Lafourche Air Conditioning Service, utilizes Copelomatic compressors and condensers that are keel-cooled by 120 feet of aluminum piping.
N a v i g a t i o n / c o m m u n i c a t i o ns equipment includes a Sitex/Koden Loran C; Sperry autopilot, compass, and rudder angle indicator; Furuno 701 and 711 radars, Datamarine depth sounder; Standard Horizon VHF radio; and Motorola SSB radio.
Other stories from September 15, 1985 issue
- Owen And Richards Named Managers At Honeywell page: 6
- MSC Announces FSS Award Totaling $30.7 Million page: 6
- Autronica's New NK-5 Unit Monitors Ship's Engine page: 6
- Grow Group Acquires Napko Coatings Division page: 6
- Bollinger Shipyard Dedicates Island Class USCG Patrol Boat Fleet page: 7
- Canadian Offshore Resources Exposition page: 8
- Moss Point Marine Delivers New Sternwheeler, Colonel page: 12
- Aluminum Boats Delivers High-Speed Crew/Utility Vessel To A&P Boats page: 12
- Matson Asks Bids On $30 Million Conversion of 'Matsonia' page: 14
- Brown & Root Awarded Feasibility Study Contract For Chevron Offshore Unit page: 15
- Congressional Maritime Caucus Establishes An Advisory Board page: 15
- OUTSTANDING RIG DESIGNS page: 16
- Bethlehem's Newest Jackup Design Can Drill In Water 600 Feet Deep page: 19
- Congressman To Address OMSA Meeting On Warehouse Vessels page: 19
- Alsthom Unit Strengthens Position In Norwegian Offshore Market page: 20
- Sandy Hook Dispatch Boat Delivered By Gladding-Hearn page: 20
- Saab Receives Order To Supply TankRadars From Tampa Shipyard page: 21
- Bertrem Products Importing Straub Couplings For U.S. And Canadian Distribution page: 21
- Conversion Of Fast Sealift Ship 'Regulus' Completed By NASSCO page: 22
- ASRY's 1984 Revenues Up Nearly 20 Percent page: 22
- Wartsila Wins Contract To Build Rig Transport Vessel For USSR page: 22
- CANADIAN SHIPBUILDING AND REPAIR YARDS page: 28
- Holman and Wildasin Elected At Raymond International page: 31
- MIROS To Market New Products In U.S. page: 32
- Furuno Introduces New Low-Cost, High-Performance Loran Navigator page: 32
- NMEA Plans Expansion Of Interface Standard page: 32
- Kockums Completes Advanced Car/Truck Carrier For Wallenius page: 33
- Cincinnati Gear Completes Testing Of New, Sophisticated Marine Drive For Navy T-AO 187 Class Oilers page: 34
- New Alarm Reduces Boiler Failures, Diesel Failures And Repair Costs page: 34
- Seattle Yard GM Elected To Todd's Board Of Directors page: 35
- Caterpillar Offers 20-Page Catalog On Marine Diesels page: 35
- Wagner Wins $4.5-Million Contract For Steering And Control Systems page: 35
- West Coast Manly Shipyards Delivers Fisheries Patrol Vessel Leonard J. Cowley page: 36
- Tyne Shiprepair Awarded Defence Ministry Contract To Convert Fleet Auxiliary page: 37
- Product Carrier 'Lucy' Christened At Hyundai's Ulsan Yard For Overseas Shipholding Group page: 38
- New Brochure Highlights Capabilities Of Marathon LeTourneau Offshore page: 38
- Aalborg Vaerft Awarded Danish Navy Contract For Seven Flex 300 Convertible Combatant Vessels page: 38
- Kockums Yard To Build Universal Ferry For Polish Shipping Company page: 41
- Transtema Kockumation Introduces New Computer System For Shipping Industry page: 41
- Huge Drydock At Bethlehem's New Sabine Yard Now Operational page: 42
- Marinette Marine Lays Keel For First Of 13 Yard Patrol Craft page: 42
- Centurion Industrial Marine Offers The 'Crew Seat page: 47
- New Brochure Available From SKF Steel Couplings On Its OK Coupling page: 47
- New Instrument Manifold Improves Safety In Process Control Systems page: 47