Novel Hagglunds Cranes Retrofitted On Cargo Ship Built In Shanghai
The novel Hagglunds "Excentermounted" cranes fitted recently at Cityvarvet, Gothenburg, to the cargoship Skagern add considerable extra interest to this new vessel.
The two cranes, each of 25-ton capacity are of Hagglunds' standard electro-hydraulic type, but mounted on platforms of a new type allowing eccentric positioning of the crane housing at any of four positions, offset at 2.5 meter radius from the center of the crane base.
As the crane bases are located close to the ship's port rail, it is possible to position the cranes outboard of the hull, with corresponding shorter working radius. Alternatively, the cranes may be located with their slewing center inboard, FLORIDA—Tampa Bonanni Ship Supply, Inc.
— Miami Ocean Ship Supply —Jacksonville Weedon Engineering Co.
GEORGIA—Savannah Southern Marine Supply Co , Inc LOUISIANA—New Orleans Marine Sales, Inc.
MAINE—Portland Chase Leavitt & Co, Inc MARYLANO—Baltimore Tate Engineering, Inc MASSACHUSETTS—Boston Klausen Gestby Co NEW JERSEY-Linden Beacon Packing & Equipment Co., Ltd, OREGON —Portland American Pacific Corporation PENNSYLVANIA—Philadelphia Philadelphia Ship Maintenance Co., Inc SOUTH CAROLINA—Charleston Southeastern Supply Co., Inc TEXAS—Corpus Christi Gunderland Marine Supply, Inc.
— Houston Texas Marine & Industrial Supply Co.
VIRGINIA—Norfolk Peltz Brothers, Inc.
over the hatch. This not only gives improved visibility but also better access to the far side of the hatch or over the ship's other side, without extreme jib radius.
The 106-meter Skagern is one of a series of 340 TEU vessels ordered by Schulz & Clemmensen, Hamburg, at the Zhonghua Shipyard in Shanghai. She was taken over by Ahlmarks Rederi, Karlstad, Sweden, immediately after delivery, and Cityvarvet has car- Iton Avenue : 212-875-6178 ried out the necessary modifications to suit her to the owners' forest products trade between Baltic and North Sea ports.
The new "Excenter-mounted" crane, which Hagglunds have developed in cooperation with the owners, will also be fitted to a sister to the Skagern as well as on two smaller vessels now under construction for Ahlmark's subsidiary in the Netherlands.
Write 16 on Reader Service Card
Other stories from December 15, 1983 issue
- Upgraded Facilities Dedicated At Newfoundland Dockyard page: 6
- Raytheon Marine Names John Scott Marketing And Sales Manager, Europe page: 7
- Texas Instruments Offers Platinum-Clad Anodes For Corrosion Protection —Literature Available page: 7
- Carrington Delivers The Blackburn Cove page: 8
- Report On Navy Market Available From IMA page: 8
- Los Angeles SNAME Discusses Offshore Problems And Solutions page: 8
- New Data Sheet Analyzing Combustion Efficiency Available From Howe-Baker page: 9
- MacGregor-Navire Cargo Access Equipment Ordered For Blue Star Reefers page: 9
- Jacobs Joins Contromatics In Marketing/Sales Position page: 10
- Malcomson Named Manager Of Manufacturing For Raytheon And Sorensen page: 10
- MSC Awards $200 Million In Contracts For Four More SL-7 Conversions page: 12
- Aqua-Chem Introduces New Plate-Type Evaporator —Literature Available page: 13
- Wesmar Sonar Effective In Shallow-Water Operations —Literature Available page: 13
- Frigate De Wert (FFG-45) Delivered Early By Bath Iron Works page: 14
- Navy Rescue/Salvage Vessel Launched At Peterson Builders page: 15
- Jackup Rig For West Africa Launched At Promet Yard page: 18
- Work Progressing On USS Kalamazoo Overhaul At Hoboken Shipyards page: 18
- The 91st SNAME Annual Meeting A Special Post-Meeting And Exposition Report page: 20
- Navy Extends Contracts With COMSAT General For Use Of MARISAT page: 27
- Kockums Profit Continues With Backlog of Orders Worth SEK 4,700 Million page: 28
- Marpol/Solas Compliance Subject Of 60-Page Book Offered By Intertanko page: 28
- Harland & Wolff To Build And Market Friendship Multi-Purpose Cargo Ship page: 28
- Maritime Protection Unveils New Nitrogen Generator— Literature Available page: 29
- $30-Million Navy Contract On Landing Craft Awarded To Bell Aerospace Textron page: 30
- First Of Sulzer's New RTA Engine Series Powers Mitsubishi-Built Bulker page: 30
- American-Standard Opens New Jersey Repair Plant —Literature Available page: 31
- Gladding-Hearn Delivers Two Launches To Virginia Pilots page: 34
- Newfoundland's Windsor Cites $93 Million In New Projects page: 34
- Nylands Expands Its Diesel Spares Operations —New Catalog Available page: 35
- Newport News Shipbuilding Delivers Attack Submarine Buffalo (SSN-715) page: 36
- AOTOS Award Recipient Mario Biaggi Urges Maritime Unity page: 36
- Crane Packing Offers Brochure On New Metal Bellows Pump Shaft Seal page: 37
- Novel Hagglunds Cranes Retrofitted On Cargo Ship Built In Shanghai page: 37
- IMO Expands Its Line Of Geared Twin-Screw Pumps —Literature Available page: 38
- New Navidyne Option Reports Ship's Position In Response To Telex Call page: 38
- Epton Completes Order For Canada's Largest Marine Fenders page: 39
- Philadelphia Gear Licensed To Manufacture I Hi's Duckpeller page: 39
- Daewoo Delivers Second $80-Million Pacesetter Rig To Santa Fe Drilling page: 40
- WESMAR Presents Stability Computer To 'President Lincoln' —Literature Available page: 40
- McDermott Shipyards To Build Inter-Island Barge For Matson page: 41
- New Tunnel Thruster Model Introduced By Omnithruster page: 50
- Bell Aerospace Awarded Navy Contract For Final Phase Of Minesweeper Hunter Design page: 50