HUD Nears Completion Of $80 M i l l i on Conversion Of Bulk Carrier To Drillship For Australia
Hongkong United Dockyards' (HUD) largest ship conversion contract is nearing completion at the company's Tsing Yi Island yard.
The $30-million one-year contract, due to be completed in the third quarter of 1982, is for the conversion of an 18,949-dwt bulkcarrier into a sophisticated 9,215-dwt variable load drillship. The total value of the contract with the purchase of special drilling equipment is about $80 million.
Called the Energy Searcher, the vessel is owned by Pacific Supplier Inc. and will be managed by Atwood Oceanics on behalf of the owners, which include Offshore Oil NL, an Australian oil and gas exploration and production company. She will operate in Australian offshore waters and fly the Australian flag.
The conversion has involved more than 2,000 tons of new steel for extensive modification, rebuilding and extending the accommodation area and services for 110 personnel to meet Australian crew regulations; the fitting of a heli-deck to take Sikorsky S61N helicopters; the installation of a sophisticated eight-point mooring system and sponsons; and the fitting of hundreds of pieces of specialized equipment.
The 160-foot drilling derrick on the Energy Searcher was installed on its platform over the moon pool in just 22 days and with total accuracy.
When completed, the Energy Searcher will be capable of drilling to 20,000 feet in 1,500 feet of water.
Other stories from January 9, 1982 issue
- Dome Exploration And Production Interests Acquired By BP And LASMO page: 6
- Hemple's Names Hickey U.S. Technical Director page: 6
- FMC Launches Ice-Strengthened Barge For Service In Beaufort Sea page: 8
- SHIP COSTS & ENERGY 82 page: 10
- First Of Four Exxon Tankers Delivered By China Shipbuilding page: 12
- FCC Okays Automated Communication System For Inland Waterways page: 13
- 80-Ton Floating Crane Delivered To Great Southern page: 17
- Jackup Griffin-Alexander VII Outfitted, Starts Drilling In Gulf Of Mexico page: 17
- MarAd Approves Title XI Increase For Tugboat page: 38
- Reed Heads New Singapore Energy Products Office For Transamerica Delaval page: 38
- Lake Shore Offers Literature On Start-Master For Cummins Engines page: 40
- Kosonen Appointed At Life Cycle Engineering page: 40
- LEEVAC Names Stone To Customer Service Post page: 40
- Hvide Shipping Appoints Fitzgerald Vice President Government Relations page: 41
- Holland America Names Technical Vice President page: 41
- Crosby Group Offers Literature On Two New Series Of Overhaul Balls page: 43
- New Bulletin Describes Heat Exchanger Designs — Free Copies Offered page: 43
- Halter To Build Four 192-Foot Supply Boats For Petromar page: 44
- Moss Point Marine Completes Three-Vessel Order For Gulf Fleet Marine page: 44
- ASNE page: 50
- John Crane-Houdaille Names McLaughlin Vice President page: 60
- Plans For Five Ships Finalized In ACL Vessel Replacement Program page: 60
- New Deck Drains Featured In Free Wager Literature page: 61
- Peter Brix Elected To Board Of Twin City Barge page: 61
- MarAd Opens Fire-Fighting Training Center In Ohio page: 61
- CV Hellenic Cape Delivered To Hellenic By Singapore Yard page: 64
- MarAd Approves Title XI Application For 86 Barges, Towboats Jeffboat, Toutant page: 65
- Reynolds Marine Division Moves To New Offices Near Padre Island, Texas page: 65
- Bestobell Level Switches, Flowmeters To Be Handled By Armtec Industries page: 66
- Louis Allis Awarded Navy Contract Of $7.9 Million For Sonar Power Kits page: 66
- Royal Viking Appoints Vice President For Marketing, Planning page: 67
- SFRP Barge Covers For Coal Shipments Treated In New Proform Literature page: 67
- SRS Awarded Contract For 11 Oily Water Separators By NOAA page: 67
- CALENDAR OF COMING EVENTS page: 68
- Seaward To Distribute Sumitomo Marine Fenders In U.S.—Literature Available page: 69
- Concorde Line Names Otero Vice President page: 70
- Halter Announces Opening Of Drydock For Ship/Rig Repair—Literature Available page: 70
- St. John Shipbuilding Orders SPAR Associates Production Planning/Cost Control Systems page: 75
- TANO Appoints Lowrey And Albert Vice Presidents page: 75
- HUD Nears Completion Of $80 M i l l i on Conversion Of Bulk Carrier To Drillship For Australia page: 76
- Navy Subcontract Awarded Peck & Hale page: 91