Jackup Rig For Marine Drilling Commissioned At Beth-Beaumont
Marine Drilling Company of Corpus Christi, Texas, and Bethlehem Steel Corporation's Beaumont shipyard recently commissioned a 200-foot water depth mobile offshore drilling vessel. James C. Storm, president of Marine Drilling, said this jackup is the third to be delivered this year by Bethlehem to his company.
During the christening ceremonies, Mrs. Joyce I. Hudson, wife of Carroll D.
Hudson, vice president of East Texas District, Arco Oil & Gas Company, commissioned the rig J. Storm XIV. Upon delivery, the unit will work in the Gulf of Mexico for Arco Oil & Gas Company.
The mat-supported jackup features a cantilevered substructure and offers the capability of being able to position its drill floor over existing offshore production platforms in order to drill development wells or to rework existing wells.
On location, J. Storm XIV will have a total variable load capacity of 4.5 million pounds, which includes hook plus setback loads of one million pounds on wells as far as 39 feet aft of the platform deck. The maximum cantilever load capacity at 45 feet is 850,000 pounds.
The new vessel consists of a platform that is 157 feet by 132 feet supported by three 11-foot-diameter columns fixed to a large stabilizing mat that is 220 feet long and 185 feet wide. Outfitted with deep-well drilling equipment, the rig will be able to operate in waters up to 200 feet deep during nonhurricane season and withstand hurricane forces resulting from 100-knot winds and 60-foot seas in water depths up to 175 feet.
The J Storm XIV contains onboard, airconditioned living accommodations for 50 people, complete with sleeping quarters, galley, recreation room, laundry, and rest rooms, and is built to comply with U.S. Coast Guard and American Bureau of Shipping standards for mobile offshore drilling units.
Other stories from October 15, 1980 issue
- Promet Awarded Contract For Jackup Drill Rig By Saudi Arabian Owner page: 4
- Expansion At Conrad Industries Triples Barge Production Capacity page: 6
- RSV Group Reorganized— M i d l a n d Marine Will Now Represent Verolme In U.S. page: 7
- Kockums Christens Two Chemical Tankers For Swedish Owner page: 10
- Skinner Named Board Chairman Of National Waterways Conference page: 10
- Surge In Requests For ABS Classification Reported At Mid-Year page: 10
- DIESEL POWER REVIEW page: 14
- Misener Reaches Milestone With Delivery Of 'El Coqui7 page: 36
- Shearson Seeks Title XI On $17.5-Million Order For 65 Hopper Barges page: 38
- Dean Willard Named President Of Products Research & Chemical page: 38
- Dravo SteelShip Delivers M/V Boone To Cincinnati Gas And Electric page: 41
- Keel-Laying At NASSCO Held For Third Union Oil Product Carrier page: 41
- New Weather Satellite Unit Introduced By GPI —Literature Available page: 46
- J.B. Travis & Company Named Gulf Sales Rep For Adrick Cooling page: 46
- NABRICO Delivers Two Asphalt Barges To National Marine Service page: 48
- Updated Marine Survey Practice Compendium Now Available page: 48
- Zidell Repairing Three Coast Guard Vessels At Total Cost Of $1 Million page: 53
- Norris Butterfly Valve Features Positive Shutoff —Literature Available page: 55
- The Sea-Shed System page: 56
- First American Asks Title XI On Two Bulk/Containerships page: 58
- Marine Efficiency Opens New Seattle Office To Serve Fishing Industry page: 58
- J.C. Kiersted Appointed Public Relations Manager For Texaco U.S.A. page: 59
- Marland Acquires Allied Water page: 61
- Combination Aluminum Seiner Delivered By Progressive Marine page: 63
- Grain Transfer Facility Hull Launched At Bergeron Yard page: 63
- Joe Christopher Joins Schnitzer-Levin Marine As Engineering Manager page: 64
- New Small Probes Expand Use Of Thickness G a g e - Literature Available page: 64
- $14-Million Scrapping Facility To Be Built In Netherlands Antilles page: 64
- Jackup Rig For Marine Drilling Commissioned At Beth-Beaumont page: 66
- MacGregor Will Provide Two Service Stations In People's Republic page: 70
- H.Z. Shelton Appointed Vice President-Finance For Sun Ship, Inc. page: 71
- Marinette Marine Awarded Contract For 10 YRBM (L) Vessels page: 71
- Savage Named General Manager-Port Sales For NY&NJ Port Authority page: 71
- A.I. Levy Named Chairman, J.J. Alcina President Of Arthur Levy Enterprises page: 72
- New Instrument Monitors Chlorine Residuals- Literature Available page: 72
- Gulf Fleet Marine Announces Four Staff Appointments page: 73
- Sino-American Maritime Accord Announced By Commerce Department page: 74