Armco Restructures Western Steel Division Into Three Groups
Armco recently restructured its Western Steel Division into three operating divisions — Southwestern Steel, Midwestern Steel, and Manufactured Products. The reorganization is a further step in Armco's strategy to establish autonomous business units.
Southwestern Steel Division is headquartered in Houston, and produces carbon and alloy steels in plate, wide-flange, and bar forms primarily for the energy and marine markets. Its Houston producing plant is the largest integrated steel mill on tidewater west of the Mississippi River.
Clifford G. Ward is president of Southwestern Steel Division.
He was with the company's steel sales organization from 1949 to 1977, when he t r a n s f e r r e d to Armco's Houston-based National Supply Company as vice president of administration. In 1978, he returned to Armco's Western Steel Division as vice president of Houston products.
Headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., Midwestern Steel Division produces carbon and alloy steels in the form of bar, rod, and wire, primarily for agricultural mining and light construction uses. Robert L. Purdum is president of Midwestern Steel Division. He served as sales engineer, general manager, and vice president for Armco's Metal Products Division.
In 1978, he was named vice president for Western Steel Division's Kansas City Products organization.
Also with headquarters in Kansas City, Manufactured Products Division has producing plants in Kansas City; Sand Springs, Okla.; Marion, Ohio; and several smaller fabricating plants. Union Wire Rope, a full line wire rope producer, is part of this division.
F.H. (Ted) Cheffy is president of the division. He joined Armco in 1956 and advanced through its steel sales organization to director of products and customer services for Armco's Eastern Steel Division. In 1977, he was named general manager of Union Wire Rope.
Other stories from September 15, 1980 issue
- MMS Forms Subsidiary To Serve Clients In United Kingdom/Europe page: 4
- J.M. Colonell Appointed Senior Project Engineer For Woodward-Clyde page: 4
- Third Navy Destroyer Tender Launched At NASSCO Yard page: 6
- SSI Introduces Emergency Anchor Windlass System- Literature Available page: 6
- F. Shepherd Promoted At Designers & Planners— Pramud Rawat Joins Firm page: 7
- Canonie Forms New Subsidiary- Appoints Three New Executives page: 10
- Armco Restructures Western Steel Division Into Three Groups page: 10
- Toronto Firm Proposes Truck/Trailer RO/RO Run Across Lake Ontario page: 11
- Avondale Lays Keel For Fourth Navy Fleet Oiler page: 12
- TBW Industries Gets $5-Million Order For SMATCO Deck Equipment page: 12
- Thomas Ternes Joins Guralnick Associates As Supervisory Engineer page: 13
- HUD Moves Head Office To Tsing Yi Island— Kowloon Yard Closed page: 13
- Multi-Purpose Mobilization Ship page: 14
- S/S 'United States'— A Second Life For World's Fastest Passenger Liner? page: 14
- Dixie Dredge Delivers Four Vessels To Egyptian Dredging page: 18
- Twin Disc Forms New Task Force To Market Marine Transmissions page: 18
- Quality Delivers Towing/Supply Vessel To Gulf Fleet Marine page: 18
- New Company Will Offer Underwater Vehicle Inspection Services page: 22
- Ferrous Has Proportioning Pump For Fuel Additive- Literature Available page: 22
- Joseph Quinn Named President Of Reorganized Devoe Marine Coatings page: 23
- Furuno Radar Simulator Installed At California Maritime Academy page: 23
- Boeing Jetfoil Sold To Argentine Owner—Christened Montevideo Jet page: 24
- National Supply Patents Subsea Template System —Literature Available page: 25
- Hitachi Gets Jackup Rig Orders From Danish And Netherlands Owners page: 26
- E.H. Barron Joins Overseas Enterprises As Director Of Chartering page: 26
- New Brochure On Gears And Gear Units Now Available From Farrel page: 26
- Promet Gets Repeat Orders From Two U.S. Companies page: 28
- New Jackup Drilling Rig page: 30
- AWO's Shipyard Conference Honors Renshaw For Leadership page: 30
- Wichita Has PTOs For Large Diesel Engines- Literature Available page: 32
- New UPSCO Shipyard Begins Production page: 36
- Bath Saves Time-Money With New Ship Insulation —Literature Available page: 38
- Lance Melik Appointed Director Of Marketing For Twin Disc, Inc. page: 38
- MTC '80 page: 40
- Rockwell Publishes New Cast Steel Valve Catalog page: 42
- MarAd Awards CDS For Mormac Conversions To Cost $4.4 Million Total page: 42
- New Brochure Explaining Combustion Catalysts Available From Ferrous page: 42
- MarAd Study Reports $9.8 Billion Needed To Expand U.S. Ports page: 43
- Coal-Burning Bulkers Ordered From Yards In Italy And Japan page: 48
- CDI Marine Awarded Navy Design Contracts Totaling $3.2 Million page: 48
- Tacoma Boat To Build Nine USCG Cutters At Cost Of $646 Million page: 50
- Michigan Wheel Will Market Bow Thrusters —Literature Available page: 51
- U.S. Yards Invited To Bid On First Maritime Prepositioning Ships page: 51
- Dravo Lays Keel For Towboat Ordered By People's Republic Of China page: 52
- Jeffboat-Built 'Conti-Karla7 Christened At Chicago's Navy Pier page: 53
- Mid-Coast Marine Delivers Second Trawler And Tugboat page: 54