New York Port Groups Honor James McAllister
James P. McAllister, chairman of the board of McAllister Brothers, Inc., the 112-year-old marine transportation company, was honored on five separate occasions during World Trade Week.
Culmination of years of effort in promoting the Port of New York came into sharp focus on Monday, when Mr. McAllister was named Honorary Chairman of Maritime Day of the World Trade Week Committee of the New York/New Jersey port area.
Wednesday saw him as the guest speaker at the annual meeting of the Seamen's Church Institute.
Later the same day, as president of the New York/New Jersey Port Promotion Committee, he presented a proclamation to Peter Stanford for his leadership in the affairs of the South Street Seaport Museum, a project in which McAllister Brothers has been active since its inception.
In the Great Hall of the New York Chamber of Commerce on Thursday, Mr. McAllister, on behalf of his company, accepted from New York Mayor Abraham Beame a presentation from the City of New York in behalf of his company, which has been in business for over 100 years in the city and port.
On Friday, in his capacity as Honorary Chairman of New York's Maritime Day, he placed a wreath, in honor of seamen who gave their lives serving the city's maritime industry, in the waters off the Battery from the deck of the U.S. Coast Guard cutter, Sauk.
This ceremony followed an ecumenical service at the Seamen's Church Institute and preceded the annual Maritime Day celebration at the U.S. Coast Guard Support Center, Governors Island, which featured 200 midshipmen from the U.S. Maritime Academy at Kings Point presenting their regimental tattoo on the parade grounds.
Other stories from June 15, 1976 issue
- Hoffert Marine, Inc. Offers New Brochure page: 4
- Two Firms Request Aid For 165,000-DWT Tankers Costing $173.8 Million page: 6
- Expansion Of Brazilian Shipyard Will Double Construction Capacity page: 7
- California Group Forms Europe To Arabia Ro/Ro Barge Service page: 8
- Syncrolift® Commissions World's Largest Shiplift At Canary Islands Repair Yard page: 10
- Bethlehem Builds Drill Rig For Norwegian Group, With GE Credit Furnishing First Mortgage, To Work Off Louisiana Coast For Shell Oil page: 10
- Vicinay Chain Company Officially Opens New Corpus Christi Manufacturing Plant page: 12
- Stig Host Appointed Chief Executive Officer Of Skaarup Shipping page: 12
- World's Most Sophisticated Maritime Research Simulator page: 13
- EDO Corporation Awarded $7-Million Foreign Order page: 14
- Marland Names Reps For USCG Approved Sewage-Treatment Unit page: 14
- Ingalls Companies Name William Kearney page: 15
- Morflot Opens Headquarters Office page: 16
- Savannah Machine Elects Green Executive VP page: 16
- Bethlehem Signs Agreement To Represent New Arab Shipbuilding And Repair Yard page: 17
- United Polish Shipyards Offer New Brochure On Building Facilities page: 17
- Gulf Trading Promotes Hindson And Monaghan page: 17
- CG Approves Microphor Sewage Treatment System page: 17
- Tacoma Boat Launches First Of Two Tug/Supply Vessels For Tidewater Marine page: 19
- American Bureau Appoints K.E. Sheehan Counsel page: 19
- The Waterways Company Licenses Delta Shipyard To Make STEERMASTERs page: 20
- New York Port Groups Honor James McAllister page: 20
- ASNE San Diego Section Hears Adm. Monger Stress Importance Of Safety Interlocks page: 21
- Todd Names Schaefer Assistant General Manager Los Angeles Shipyard page: 21
- R.H. Roemer Forms Mobile Marine Assoc. page: 22
- SNAME Gulf Section Holds Spring Meeting page: 24
- Lykes Elects Brennan Exec. Vice President page: 25
- Texaco Adds Another VLCC To Company Fleet Of 189 Tanker page: 28
- ITT Decca Marine Names Three Managers page: 29
- NDTA Honors Tom Crowley page: 34
- Mississippi Marine Rebuilds Fire-Damaged Towboat Lillian G page: 34
- Chesapeake Section Of SNAME Hears Paper On High Speed Ship Structural Dynamics page: 36
- Hovermarine Announces First Sale To Japan page: 37
- MTS Names Szolkowski Senior VP-Operations page: 37
- Advanced Marine Opens Office In Washington page: 38
- W.H. Blaylock Joins Energy Transportation As Safety Coordinator page: 39
- Gratwick Named VP New Marine Division Canadian Nat'l Railways page: 39
- Dubai Petroleum Elects H.A. Mckinley President page: 44
- Konel Names Abbott West Coast Manager page: 44
- Bath Iron Launches Third Ro/Ro Ship- Delivers First To States Steamship Co. page: 46
- Maritime Association Publishes 1976 Edition N.Y. Port Handbook page: 47
- Special Skills And Machines Prepare Aluminum Shell Plates For Spherical-Type LNG Tanks page: 48
- Marine Executives Visit University To Review Class Project On Construction Of Towboats page: 49